Greetings yoga friends,
This week’s tip is the half somersault maneuver to cure vertigo.
The most common type of vertigo is positional vertigo which happens when particles in the inner ear get dislodged. This can cause spinning, dizziness and nausea. This sequence was discovered by Dr. Carol Foster of the University of Colorado School of Medicine.
The maneuver is done from a kneeling position.
- Begin by looking up, then tuck your chin to your chest, round down until the top of your head touches the ground.
- Place your hands near your head for help with balance, then slowly turn your head to the side, carefully lie your head on the ground, keeping it tilted to the side
- Lift halfway up with your head parallel to the floor
- Lastly come all the way up to seated.
- Wait in each of the positions for the spinning sensation to pass, about 20 to 30 seconds.
- If the dizziness continues repeat the process turning your head to the opposite side.The sequence of postures helps the particles in the ear return to their correct position and the symptoms disappear.
Let me know if you have any questions about a pose by replying to this email. I will try to address your question in an upcoming email.